The Programme "Strengthening PPP in Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR)" contributed to reduce the high maternal mortality in Malawi. It aimed to improve access to family planning (FP) counselling and methods, and it addressed population groups that had so far not or only to a very limited extent been reached by the state family planning. These included couples in remote rural regions and the youth who were primarily addressed by NGOs, which have experience in the area of family planning. The Programme implemented measures to initiate behaviour change in the field of SRHR and improve access to contraceptives and other health related products in nine priority districts of Malawi over a four-year period: Neno, Ntcheu, Mzimba North and South, Likoma, Ntchisi, Thyolo, Blantyre, Rumphi, and Mwanza.
The German Government had granted 20 million Euro to this Programme. MoH delegated the implementation of the Programme to a consortium of NGOs that was led by Population Services International (PSI), while the overall responsibility and monitoring of the Programme was with MoH.
To ensure a proper Programme implementation, MoH with the support of KfW had engaged EPOS Health Management as Monitoring Consultant (MC) who assisted MoH in steering and monitoring the Programme, in proper fund management and disbursement and in reporting towards KfW.
The Monitoring Consultant’s objective was to build capacity within MoH in Programme steering and management, particularly in monitoring and evaluation of the appropriateness of the Programme measures and the performance of the NGO consortium as well as in financial project administration ensuring that procurement and disbursement procedures for goods and services were handled in line with the respective KfW guidelines.
- Review and comment on the operational and monitoring plans of PSI; including socio-cultural appropriateness, relevance and quality of project measures.
- Review and comment on annual plans and budgets and recommend them for approval.
- Project Implementation
- Review all reports and other relevant documents submitted by PSI prior to their submission to KfW.
- Monitor any significant deviation from agreed plans and risks.
- Conduct visits to field programmes, when required.
- Monitor PSI on adherence to sound procurement procedures for goods and services according to the rules and regulations stipulated in the respective contracts and in the agreed KfW regulations.
- Review disbursement request, financial controlling and analysis and interpretation of audit reports.
- Form a Project Core Team (PCT), call for PCT meetings and chair them.
- Propose Terms of Reference for the Project.Steering Committee.
- Represent the Project in Technical Working Groups.
- Propose corrective measures in case of any critical irregularity that has been identified.