“Greening Hospitals –system solutions for the secondary area of hospitals using the example of Tajikistan” examined four pilot hospitals and aimed to develop a concept for integrated operation of the hospital infrastructure to improve the effectiveness of selected secondary areas and to ensure safe and environmentally friendly hospital operations.
The development partnership under the consortium EPOS /ETLog and the Ministry of Public Health of Tajikistan was part of the develoPPP.de programme that DEG/ GIZ/sequa gGmbH was implementing on behalf of BMZ. The project was working locally with the IRFAT-K LLC. The project was financed to 49% by GIZ and 51% were contributions of EPOS/ETlog.
The lack of awareness and know-how on the part of the hospitals and certain governmental authorities about the importance of hospital infrastructure and hospital management (hygiene, environment and operational cost) and also advanced and integrated green infrastructure management solutions resulted in a non-existent request for a modern approach. This lack of demand therefore confronted the partners with the impossibility to provide modern green health management consulting services for hospital infrastructure management.
EPOS and ETLog developed and demonstrated a joint and integrated green hospital management approach for hospital infrastructure in Tajikistan, taking into consideration the capacities of the stakeholders as well as the available infrastructure and financing possibilities for recurrent costs.
The following areas in the pilot hospitals were tackled:
- Waste management and hygiene: cleaning, waste management and infection control.
- Water economy: Quality of fresh water and management of waste water.
- Energy management: energy consumption, ventilation systems and heating management.
- Technical Management: Strategy development, definition of responsibilities, maintenance management.
To achieve “The infrastructure of 4 healthcare facilities in Tajikistan is more efficiently managed and allows the provision of green & safe healthcare services” - and to create a demand for the companies’ services, the partners demonstrated the advantages of an integrated health management solution and developed innovative financing strategies to enable to implement future projects. The activities of the partners included awareness raising activities among key governmental staff and an integrated assessment in co-operation with the hospitals and the government. The following outputs were generated
- Commit hospitals and other stakeholders
- Carry out green hospital infrastructure assessment
- Develop integrated green hospital infrastructure concept
- Build capacities for integrated green hospital management in partner hospitals
- Implement integrated green health management systems in partner hospitals
- Develop financing strategies
- Disseminate project results
The tasks and contribution of the consortium partners to the different sectors of hospital infrastructure management were as follows:
- Operational and financial management for hospital infrastructure
- Technical management & maintenance
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning
- Efficient energy management
- Hazardous goods and waste management
- Cleaning and technical hospital hygiene (sterilisation, laundry)
- Water supply and waste water disposal
- Climate change & greenhouse gas