- Psychosocial Support for Syrian and Iraqi Refugees and Internally Displaced People
- Duration of the assignment: 50 expert days in the country of assignment; 50 expert days in the home country
Development of the study designs for PSS intervention in partnership with an organization in Jordan for its implementation and explores its effectiveness. The main research question “Do psychosocial interventions enhance the well-being of persons affected by conflict-induced forced migration?” will be answered together with the following sub-questions:
a) Active ingredients: What factors make PSS interventions effective?
b) Enhancers of PSS effectiveness: Under which conditions can those factors best develop their full potential?
c) Inhibitors of PSS effectiveness: What barriers can limit the effectiveness of PSS interventions and how can they be mitigated?
The research questions will be answered by a case study in Jordan. The target population are Syrian and Iraqi Refugees, IDPs and members of a host community in Jordan in a setting yet to be defined, which shall be characterized by relatively high levels of precariousness as compared to country average. The study will follow an inductive approach.
- Assuring that a methodological focus complementary to the team leader has equal weight in the study design and implementation, i.e. with a qualitative focus if the team leader’s expertise is predominantly quantitative and vice versa (see GIZ pre-studies)
- Collaboration in the delivery of services
- Collaboration in personnel management
- Maintaining close contact with the GIZ Regional Programme, together with team leader
- Contribution to regular reporting in cooperation with team leader and in accordance with deadlines
Qualifications and skills
- University qualification: PhD in Social Science
General professional experience
- 7 years of professional experience in conducting research in Social Science with a methodological focus that is complementary to the team leader. Has published 1 article on the impact/effectiveness of PSS in an international, peer-reviewed journal.
Specific professional experience
- 2 years of practical work experience in PSS interventions.
- 5 years of management/leadership experience as project team leader, including budget responsibility.
- 1 year of experience in projects in the MENA region.
- 3 years of experience in projects in development cooperation and/or humanitarian work.
- Experience in leading 2 research projects with trans-disciplinary and international research teams
- Excellent written and spoken language skills in English (C1)