The Government of Uzbekistan has shown substantial initiative and support regarding technology application in the health care sector. However, the health system in Uzbekistan has been slow in taking advantage of information technologies. In 2008, the Government of Uzbekistan created a dedicated HMIS unit (UzMedInfo) to support the HMIS initiatives. In order to enable the process of establishing an integrated National Information System on Health, the Asian Development Bank is providing Project Preparatory Technical Assistance to the Government of Uzbekistan.
The Objective of the project is to improve health information and governance by establishing a national digital health management information system (HMIS), incorporated into the government’s broader e-government platform. This shall be achieved by strengthening the institutional capacity of the Ministry of Health and the Centre for the Development of eHealth (UzMedInfo) and by establishing an information system that provides accurate health information in a timely manner to support the management decision-making process
The consultant is providing assistance to the Ministry of Health as the Execution Agency (EA) and UzMedInfo as the Implementation Agency (IA). Specific assistance to be provided includes:
- Testing the HMIS characteristics against currently available technology, capabilities of EA and IA, resource requirements at health sector level, policy/regulatory requirements.
- Test the HMIS components against the current national HMIS framework and current and planned other HMIS initiatives, existing data flow/utilisation and technical feasibility
- Identification of gaps, propose implementation strategies and procurement risk assessment, procurement guidelines as well as undertake cost evaluation
- Perform an economic analysis of the resulting HMIS and analyse the financial, organizational and management capacities of the health sector, including scope of the HMIS in strengthening the country’s healthcare system and leverage it towards Universal Health Coverage (UHC)
- Develop and prepare the technical specifications for the HMIS characteristics, the functional design documentation of the HMIS components and the overall implementation process plan for the HMIS including capacity building plans
- Documentation as per ADB and Uzbekistan government guidelines and – where applicable – to ISO quality management standards